Jack Rodwell could make a sensational return to the Premier League with the midfielder understood to be training with Sheffield United.
The 28-year-old has been without a club since leaving Blackburn in the summer.
Rodwell went on trial with Roma but they decided against signing him and he also trained at Parma but has so far not joined a new side.
The Telegraph report that he has been training with the Blades ahead of a possible move to Bramall Lane as manager Chris Wilder looks to strengthen his squad for the rest of the season.
Rodwell played 22 times for Blackburn last season but is currently without a club.
He started his career at Everton before he moved to Manchester City in 2012 for around £12million.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across our network this week…
- Charlton vs Hull (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Liverpool vs Watford (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Birmingham vs West Brom (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Bournemouth (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
Two years later he went to Sunderland for £10million but injuries have hampered his playing time.
His contract was terminated by Sunderland in June 2018 and he signed for Blackburn on a free transfer.