Marcus Rashford has been compared to Theo Walcott as he continues to blow hot and cold in front of goal for Manchester United this season.
Rashford, the England forward, has led the line for the Red Devils all campaign but has scored only seven goals in all competitions.
His failure to hit the back of the net consistently is a huge part of United’s ongoing struggles, and it is painful to watch given Rashford has shown on many occasions he has true quality.
Only last week the England international netted twice in a 2-1 Carabao Cup defeat of Chelsea, with his second goal of the night a stunning 30-yard free-kick which has since been lauded as world class.
The win made it four games unbeaten for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side heading into Saturday’s match at Bournemouth, and hopes were high for another win.
But the Cherries triumphed 1-0, with Rashford failing to net despite playing the full 90 minutes.
Incredibly, he recorded only one shot at Dean Court, following up his match-winning performance against Chelsea with a distressingly limp display.
And this lack of consistency means Rashford is showing many similarities to Theo Walcott, the former Arsenal forward who currently plies his trade for Everton.
This is according to ex-Leeds, Man City and England defender Danny Mills, who joined talkSPORT on Sunday.
“One minute he’s a world-beater and the next you are going, ‘what’s happened? He’s gone?’,” Mills said of Rashford.
LIVE on talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
- Stoke vs West Brom (Monday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Borussia Dortmund vs Inter (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Vitoria Guimaraes vs Arsenal (Wednesday, 3:50pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Red Star Belgrade vs Tottenham (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Atalanta vs Manchester City (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Lazio vs Celtic (Thursday, 5:55pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Chelsea vs Crystal Palace (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Nottingham Forest vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Everton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leicester vs Arsenal (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Bristol City (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
“It’s not quite as dramatic, but it’s almost like ‘Theo Walcott syndrome’. He’d score a hat-trick and you’d think, ‘oh my goodness, he’s arrived! That’s it, he is going to kick on’.
“But then he went missing for the next five or six games.
“I think a lot of United’s players are like that.”
Rashford will hope to return to scoring ways on Thursday, when the Red Devils host Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League, searching for their third group stage win.